Thursday, June 27, 2019

WHAT IS POETRY FOR YOU ?

"What is poetry ?" This is the question my mother asked me today when I said I prefer poems over novels. But after this question, I asked myself. What exactly is Poetry? Is it only the art of reading an unsaid emotion and framing it in the form of a poem? Or is it just the literary work in which the expression of feelings and ideas is given intensity by the use of distinctive style and rhythm (well this is what Google said). Or as Sydney said, poetry is the first light-giver to ignorance. As he considered poetry as the oldest of all branches of learning? Wow! just think just give a thought to Sydney. Or like Wordsworth said, "poetry is the spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings; it takes its origin from emotions recollected in tranquillity."
Well if you ask me, I would say I'm not certain what exactly it is.. as it can be an emotional outbursts ones long-suppressed feelings; the tears of a mother flowing as the ink in her daughter's letter; the curve of someone's lips after receiving long-awaited news; the longing heart of a lover or the just the frustration after listening to a repetitive refrain. Seriously speaking, I don't know which is the one. You cannot be definitely sure about it. Can't pinpoint it, "this is what it is" no, you can't. Because this is not mathematics. Here, 2+2 can't always be 4. It always depends upon the person who is counting, in which situation he is counting, why he is counting and what is the result he is actually expecting. Here you have to think. So think and tell me. What is poetry for you?




No comments:

Post a Comment

You're not alone

  When you'll feel all alone,    And the world has turned its back on you. Give me a moment please,   To tame your wild heart. When dark...